Monday, November 26, 2012

Section 4

Chapter 14:

I feel that an area where a performance problem in our schools is making use of some of the fantastic Title 1 grants, etc. that we get.  When I was still teaching in this area, we had just been awarded a HUGE PalmPilot program.  We attended training sessions, received all of the materials, and took the PalmPilots to the classroom!  We were all so thrilled with the program until we found out the upkeep, the demands to meet the grant requirements, the classroom application/training time it all took.  By the time I left the school one year later, the Palms were very rarely used.  I fear that the newer more up to date iPad grants will end the same way unless something is done.  Each classroom received 2iPads this year.  One of the biggest trials, the librarian is the only person on this campus that is allowed to download apps or add anything new to the iPads.  The teachers are all tired of waiting (the librarian has a split campus assignment) and the librarian is tired of all of the work.  From what I can see, the iPads tend to serve the purpose of a "time killer" instead of something to really enhance the classroom atmosphere. 

I feel like the iPads can be a great benefit to the classroom, with the right instruction!  I think some non-instructional solutions that might help solve the problem would be to set goals of having the iPads in the classroom.  Following a similar model to the HPT would be a key component to improving the idea behind the iPads.  Looking at the performance, cause and intervention behind the original concept would allow the teachers to see what the intended use was supposed to be, would allow teachers to understand where the grant writers had envisioned this idea.  Having a model similat to the one below would allow teachers and the campus/district to see where improvements can be made using various methods.

http://www.emeryperformance.com/hpt.htm#
 
Chapter 15:
 
According to the text, performance support systems is one that allows you to have the support you need when you need it and how you need it (p.149).  Using an Electronic Performance Support System would enhance the iPad program to it's full potential.  By allowing teachers to have support on hand during planning periods, instructional time, etc. would not only give teachers confidence to use the iPads, but it would allow the iPad to be a useful tool.  Having access to lesson plan ideas, easy to follow and user friendly software programs and ways for teachers to collaborate on the use of the iPads would be a great way to incorporate an EPSS.  
 
Chapter 16: 
 
Using a combination of "explicit" and "tactic" knowledge would best benefit the situation with the iPads not being used to their full potential.  With Explict knowledge allowing teachers the ability to create and share lesson plans via blogs, podcasts, or school websites would be beneficial. Tactic knowledge could be beneficial because it uses insight, so having mini trainings over a grade level planning period (or PLC) would allow teachers to share insight/knowledge in a small setting and allow them to have open discussions, and demonstrations.  

 
 
Chapter 17:
 
I feel like a lot of informal learning can happen anywhere!  I have been out of the classroom for several years and recently have started to substitute at my old stomping grounds--I feel like I am getting caught up on new teaching methods, terminology, and materials everywhere I go!  I am hearing and learning new things in the teachers lounge, the playground and in discussions in the office or classrooms.  I have had the privilege to attend several grade level meetings in my LIS 550 class this semester and I have several friends outside of teaching/school.  I do a lot of informal learning through some of our posts within my online classes, etc.  Things could almost always be codified, but I do not think that it's always made accessible to others.  I could see many benefits to making the information available to others and would hope that by having open discussions in those various locations around campus, etc. would allow others to "informally" learn about new concepts.

2 comments:

  1. The iPad revolution is slowly making its way into our district, and I am not in a hurry to get my hand on one. I hear many stories such as yours and I wonder just how effective will its use be in the classroom. However, the manner in which you explain the explicit and tacit knowledge really helps to calm some of my misgivings on working with an iPad. Thumbs up for informal learning! And to your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great response! I love the thought of having iPads in every classroom for every kiddo- what a dream! You really hit the nail on the head when discussing implicit and explicit knowledge and warded out controveries that might have opposers thinking otherwise!

    ReplyDelete