Sunday, November 18, 2012

Section 3

Chapter 10 discusses evaluation in instructional design and provides you with two evaluation models, the CIPP and Kirkpatrick models for evaluation. Search for at least two other models used for evaluation and summarize these models. Describe how you would use them to evaluate your instruction.

Situated evaluation for cooperative systems


(Sorry it's a little blurry :)  Basically this evaluation system describes the characteristics of varying contexts that cause innovations to fail or succeed differently. Proponents of situated evaluation argue that educational innovations are situated within their context of use.

This method allows students to go back and rework as necessary, if step 1 works go to step 2, if step 2 fails, go back to step 1, etc.  I am not so sure that this is a model that I would be able to effectively use for my classroom/library.  Maybe on a much simpler format.  I like the fact that students are able to evaluate and go back if necessary to correct any of the steps in the beginning or the end. 

ADDIE

This is a very basic research model that many other models share components with.  Analyze student characteristics, learning context, Analyze content to be learned, Define learning goals and objectives, Design how learners will interact with the content, design the assessment plan, create the course, Development, Implementation: learners complete the activity, learners are assessed, Evaluate: monitor, feedback, grades.  This is a very basic model and can easily be followed in a variety of classrooms on a variety of levels.  This basic model could also be used in a library setting.

Reflect on what other questions that instructional design evaluation should address besides whether the instructional design leads to comparable amounts of learning and learner satisfaction as traditional methods. What else would be useful to know?
Some elements that researchers should also consider is the population of the group, how long will this learning have an effect on the students?  what are some other elements that could/did have an effect on the results?




Chapter's 12 & 13 focus on project management and how to manage projects when resources are scarce. You have been assigned to develop a series of professional development sessions focusing on technology use in the classroom for teachers during a time of economic decline. How will you use Situational Leadership to facilitate this project and manage scarce resources?
As a facilitator of this project I would keep in mind the key components to a successful project:  make sure that communication levels are strong from all sides--from the facilitator, the team working on the project--all individuals working on the project.  Communication is a vital part of making any collaborative project successful.  I would make sure to make use of any valuable resources that I have access to and to dictate and assistant that might have outside connections as well.  It is much easier to make use of what you do have than to wish you could have others! 

3 comments:

  1. I like your added question about longevity of learning. I often think I've taught my kids, but they don't actually retain any of it when it comes up later.

    I agree communication is key!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Jennifer!
    I agree that some...well, MOST...of the models that I found during my research were way too complicated for me to use effectively to evaluate my instruction. I wonder if there is a time and place for those more detailed models. What situations would require these indepth models versus the simpler to understand models like CIPP and ADDIE? I guess my bigger question is how do we know which model to use when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni, I was thinking the same thing about when these detailed models would be used. I would think that we would have to pull from each models to fit the classroom or campus situation. I wouldn't follow any model exactly. I would get ideas for evaluation methods for the classrom and teacher. When I was in the classroom, I constantly evaluated what worked and what didn't work. I also do that in the library, but it is more difficult since I am dealing with a much bigger population in there.

    ReplyDelete