Sunday, December 9, 2012

Section 6

Section 6: Getting an IDT Position and Succeeding at It

I am currently a stay at home mom with three years of teaching experience.  I taught self-contained,3rd grade for two years and Math & Science for 4th grade for one year.  I am set to graduate before the end of the month with my Master's LIS.  I hope to get a job in a library campus soon after graduation, but if I don't, I have a couple of long term sub positions lined out! 
                                                                               photo from: anothergrayhair.typepad.com
My dream position would be in a elementary librarian position.  That would put me at a first level service in an education economic sector.  Using the WorkMatrix allowed me to see some of the specifics about the workforce that are of value to me and helped make my priorities list.  Some of the features of work that stood out to me and that I scored high on were geographic location and high income growth.  I realize that in may states, teachers are not highly paid, but there is almost always room for growth in this type of field.  I am a family woman and it is very important that I stay close so that I can continue to be actively involved with my family.  I have three sisters and we all have kids, as Army brats growing up we traveled a ton and missed our family, so this is a very important part of our children's lives and location is important! 
sites.google.com
 
Based on these intentions, one of the biggest things I need to better my skills and up my qualifications, is simply experience in the library.  I have spent many hours in our local elementary campus library this semester with my LIS Practicum class.  I need more training on the computer programs offered to assist librarians in the purchasing of books and materials.  Although the demands of the coursework has been very beneficial, I feel like the only thing that will really improve my skills is just more time in the workforce.  I feel like the course load that has been required of me has been beneficial and allowed me to gain knowledge and be involved in many hands on activities.  This semester alone I have spent more than 8100 minutes in an elementary library setting.  I have been involved in many aspects of running a library---from the day to day grind of checking in/out materials, sitting in on meetings and the paperwork.  I have recently applied for a position that unexpectedly opened for the remainder of the year on the high school level and feel that something of that nature would greatly assist me in developing my skills. 
                                                                    websitewordle.jpg
After carefully reading and examining the professional organizations, I feel like there were a few that would support my learning after graduation.  I am already a member of TLC and see many benefits from librarians sharing information about job openings, lesson planning ideas and more information about regulations, etc.  I think this has been beneficial and a great place to learn during my coursework. 
One of the organizations that I saw that could benefit me was the American Society for Training & Development (ASTD).  After reading the information and gaining a little bit of knowledge about the organization, I felt like this one allows members a great networking opportunity.  I loved the idea of the online job bank and feel this is one that could be beneficial before graduation as well as right after for employment opportunities. 
I also found the information provided about the Association for Educational Communications and Technology(AECT) was beneficial in my field of work.  In the librarian field, a rapid change to "technology media centers" has many librarians searching for information to share and learn.  This looks like a valuable association to look into before and after graduation as well. 
 
medicalimagingtalk.com
I did not see a list of conferences that were available--might have missed something!?!?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, you made a great point when you stated location was important in your job search. This is especially true if you have younger children. That is one good aspect of being a librarian. There are usually schools nearby and the hours and holidays will most likely match your children. More time working in a library will help you improve your skills. I know it has mine. I understand the process of certain procedures such as developing certain types of collections and weeding books. Good luck to you in the future. I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spent many, many hours in our elementary library as a volunteer and that experience is priceless! You will be so thankful for the time and experience when you are the decision maker! Having that close relationship with another librarian in your district will also be priceless because you will have someone to bounce ideas off of and someone who has walked through the same roads as you. Good luck with finding the perfect position for you and for your family!

    ReplyDelete